Frequently Asked Questions - University Admissions
These differ between universities. We encourage all students to contact the admissions officer of each course they are interested in to find out the specific entry requirements. The contact details for university health science faculties can be found in the University Contacts information sheet on our free downloads page. For a general overview of admissions requirements, please download our university admissions information sheet from our free downloads page.
Further information can also be obtained from our Information for Parents/Students document.
Note that all MedEntry packages include a comprehensive University Admissions Guide, with valuable information about the admissions process.
Unlike most other countries, in New Zealand there is a limit to the number of times you can apply for medicine. Both the University of Auckland and Otago have restrictions on how many times you can apply to the medical program.
At both Auckland and Otago University, you can apply for medicine only once after the first year of your university degree. At Auckland university, you can apply only once as a graduate. At Otago university, you can apply only once if you are applying in the alternative category.
Therefore, quality preparation for UMAT is essential to ensure success. Do not take any risks and jeopardise your chance at becoming a doctor!
Not necessarily! Entry into medicine in general is dependent upon three criteria: GPA, UMAT and interviews. The better your UMAT and interview performance, the lower the required GPA. The minimum GPA for Auckland and Otago University is 6, which is equivalent to a B+ average.
- Monash University Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- University of New South Wales Faculty of Medicine
- University of Newcastle Faculty of Health and Medicine
- University of Western Sydney Faculty of Health
- University of Queensland Faculty of Medicine
- Griffith University School of Medical Science
- James Cook University College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Bond University Faculty of Health Sciences and Medicine
- University of Adelaide Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- University of Western Australia Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- University of Tasmania Faculty of Health
- University of Auckland Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences
- University of Otago Division of Health Sciences
- University of Melbourne - Melbourne Medical School
- Deakin University School of Medicine
- University of Sydney - Sydney Medical School
- University of Wollongong School of Medicine
- Griffith University School of Medicine
- Flinders University School of Medicine
- Australian National University Medical School
- Curtin University Medical School
- Charles Darwin University
- Charles Sturt University
Once you have paid for this service, please email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org in Microsoft Word format. In the email, please include your full name, your MedEntry reference number for the service, and for which application you are requesting a review.
- Each Application Review Service is valid for one application.
- Normally at least two working days is required to process your application. However, applications can be processed faster if there is a need to do so. Please mark your email as "urgent".
- Applications must be submitted in Microsoft Word format. If they are submitted in any other format, it will be difficult to provide feedback.
Once your application is reviewed, it will be emailed back to you with feedback recorded using the 'Track Changes' feature of Microsoft Word.